Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have a 13 yr old female Cocker Spaniel. She has been

Customer Question

I have a 13 yr old female Cocker Spaniel. She has been panting profusely over the past few days and seems to be struggling with bowel movements. She also has some eye discharge similar to when she had an ear infection some years back.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello Jim,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please email response to:***@******.***

Hi Jim,

The system does not normally allow me to reply by private email but you will be able to read my reply here sometime over the next ten minutes or so ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I will wait for response.

Hello again Jim

Sorry to hear Sadie is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. I am not certain about the connection between the problem with the bowel movements and the eye discharge but in a dog of 13 years of age I would be very concerned about the panting. You see panting such as you describe is typical of congestive cardiac failure and this is actually very common in older dogs such as Sadie.

2. What to do about it? : Unfortunately there are no scope for home remedies here, my advice has to be to have her checked over by your vet at the next possible opportunity. Even if this is not heart related then with those symptoms it could still be something very serious for which immediate hands on veterinary help is needed.

Sorry I cannot safely be more specific ...

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.