Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Our dog is having difficulty having a bowel movement. He has

Customer Question

Our dog is having difficulty having a bowel movement. He has lost his appetite but does drink water. Not sure what to do. Thanks
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 9 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How old is your dog?

2- How long has this been going on?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Is he straining trying to go?

5- How much does he weigh?

6- Breed?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
12
About a week
No existing conditions, has regular check ups, last one in January and all was good
He had been straining and some liquid feces was coming out but now he is backed up
Weighs around 80 lbs.
Chow-Chow shepherd mix
Thanks

1- How long has it been since the last time he passed stool?

2- Did he have diarrhea and was straining?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Last liquid stool was Thursday and was straining.

1- Is it fair to say he is not eating as much since?

2- Is he still straining?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
eating hardly anything and a straining but nothing comes out.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok thanks

Friend, according to the history you provide I am not totally convinced that he is constipated. You see, when dogs are constipated they do not pass liquid feces. What may be happening is that his colon is inflamed (colitis) and he was passing mucus. You see, when the colon is inflamed it will give the sensation as if having to defecate and for this reason the patient continues to strain. In addition, the fact that he has not been eating much explains why he is not passing any stool. Causes for colitis are: Dietary indiscretion, infections, parasites, ingestion of a foreign body or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes.

In this case, we need to establish the difference if he is constipated or has an inflamed colon. I don't feel comfortable recommending things used for constipation as this will make colitis worst. I would strongly recommend having him checked by family vet for a hands on examination and xrays to determine the exact underlying cause. In the meantime you can offer him a bland diet of rice and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef. In addition, offer him low sodium chicken broth to increase his water intake; this will help if related to constipation and will not harm him if related to colitis.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter