Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog constantly licks the air and has terrible breath, we

Customer Question

my dog constantly licks the air and has terrible breath
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: we tried teeth cleaning, twice, and that didn't work
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

Air licking is highly suggestive of gastrointestinal distress and so your dog's halitosis might well be due to gastroesophageal reflux (acid reflux, GERD, hearburn). I would see how an over the counter antacid such as famotidine (Pepcid) dosed at 0.25 mg/lb twice daily affects your dog. Alternatively, omeprazole (Prilosec) dosed at 10 mg (small dog) or 20 mg (large dog) daily affects your dog. Ideally, the etiology of the distress should be clarified. This might involve diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests as well as a hypoallergenic food trial and/or ultrasound of your dog's GI tract.

Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.