Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

Ever since my dog has had liver oil tablets she has had

Customer Question

Ever since my dog has had cod liver oil tablets she has had upset stomach is this normal
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Coco a yorkie 6years old
JA: How old is Coco?
Customer: Six
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Coco?
Customer: No she has always been up beat and lively
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $14 after the Veterinarian responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 8 months ago.

I am sorry to hear Coco is not feeling well.

Cod liver oil can indeed cause quite a bit of upset stomach. It is very high in fat and most dogs do not handle fat very well. Yorkies in particular can be prone to pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas), which is caused by high fat intake.

I would recommend avoiding the cod liver oil in the future to prevent the upset stomach.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 8 months ago.

If you dog is vomiting profusely over and over or has bad diarrhea or does not want to eat, I would recommend having her seen by a vet just to make sure there is nothing more than an upset stomach here (like pancreatitis).

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 8 months ago.

Is there anything else I can help you with today? Is there any other information I can give you or anything else I can clear up for you?

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 8 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. G.