Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I am ***** *****, our 8 year old Hungarian Visla has spent

Customer Question

Hi I am ***** *****, our 8 year old Hungarian Visla has spent the last four nights panting and pacing and clawing at surfaces this generally happens the minute we all go to bed. She sleeps with our son or at least in his room on her own bed, but she wont settle she just stands by the door, and tries to get into our room. Then hides under our quilt or paces the bed, claws behind our pillows. She is getting extremely hot with her panting, there is not adverse weather as she does get anxious with thunderstorms. This is a very sudden reaction and we are very sleep deprived now. She finally settled downstairs on her bed after I comforted her and said goodnight. She is perfectly normal during the day, be interested to see what you think
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: thats about it she is sitting on her bed now completely fine, she is generally a vocal dog so can cry for sometime if things dont go her way, generally with food
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 8 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am so sorry to hear about your issue with your Visla. It sounds as if she could be experiencing some night waking/night anxiety issues we can see in older dogs. I am going attach an article here that discusses this problem in more detail: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=3189

We can also see dogs who are suffering from pain show discomfort at night and not during the day, so I would recommend you bring your visla in to your vet to check for signs of arthritis. If none are evident, then they can discuss potentially starting you dog on either nutraceutical supplements or prescription anti anxiety type medications to help her rest at night. Please look over the article I linked to and let me know if you have any questions!