Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog HATES having s nails clipped. He's too much husband

Customer Question

My dog HATES having his nails clipped. He's too much for my husband and I to handle alone. Is there an over the counter med that I can give him to calm him enough to get this done? He is a medium large pit mix. I've heard benadryl? But have no idea how much to give him.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

I understand your frustration. Unfortunately, no, there's nothing of value over the counter. You'll be disappointed in the amount of sedation even after the maximum dose of diphenhydramine (Benadryl) - 50 mg - is administered to your dog. Your best bet is to have his vet prescribe a true tranquilizer such as acepromazine which you would give 2 hours prior to clipping his nails. You'll still need help. It isn't unusual for three of my vet techs to restrain and trim the nails of some fractious dogs.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.