Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

Why does my 6 month old English bulldog puppy go after my

Customer Question

Why does my 6 month old English bulldog puppy go after my feet?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the puppy's name?
Customer: Abby
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Abby?
Customer: Yeah she acts like a complete lunatic for no apparent reason. Tearing around growling. Acting aggressively towards anyone who gets in her way. But the going after my feet is the worst because she has almost tripped me
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Dr Ola B and I am licensed veterinarian. I am sorry to hear this! The behavior that Abby is exhibiting is called play aggression. When puppies are very small, they learn from their litter mates and from mom how to play and what the boundaries are in terms of biting, wrestling, etc. If puppies are taken away from litter before this process has "finished" the result may be that she starts to exhibit this aggression toward their humans. It may be cute when they are very small but if it goes too long and they get bigger, its not so fun and cute! Going after feet and fingers are most common.. Abby is equating you (and your feet) with an object to play with. What you don't want to do is kick or run or make any movement with your feet when she starts doing this; it will only increase the behavior. Do what you can to get her out of the moment. The best thing is to get her to focus on a healthy alternative such as a toy. If she likes chewing and biting, go for rubber toys like KONG toys vs soft plush toys. If she is very caught up in the moment, correct her with a small water spray bottle. Tell her NO sternly but never using hands or feet to correct her. Also, being a young puppy her energy level is so high, she may need more of an outlet for it. The more energy she burns off with long walks/runs the better. The more enriching her environment in terms of toys (especially those involving problem solving) the better. Try changing things up a bit and be patient.

I hope this advice is helpful to you! Please don't forget to rate my answer which I hope you found to be excellent. I am committed to helping you and Abby so let me know if I can help further!