Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My approx 20 lb pit lab mix puppy just ate an entire

Customer Question

My approx 20 lb pit lab mix puppy just ate an entire crawfish... Shells and all. What do I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Unfortunately in this situation we cannot induce vomiting because the material can have sharp edges and do more damage to the esophagus on the way up if chewed so at this point all we can do is a few precautionary things to minimize the risk of an obstruction but at the first signs of vomiting it is time to take your dog to the veterinarian and have them evaluated/ x-rayed

1.) Feed 3 pieces of bread now

2.) Take a nice walk to help move the material through. Not running around but a leash walk which helps encourage emptying of the stomach and digestion

3.) In about 2 hours repeat the bread which is used to help bulk up the foreign body to hopefully push them through and protect the edges from causing damage

4.) Monitor for signs of the material coming out the other end in the next 24-48 hours

5.) Again tomorrow a few nice long leash walks to help encourage gi motility and pushing the foreign material through the intestinal tract

This is the difficult part, the watching and waiting because all we can do is see if they pass on their own

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am online another 15 minutes if I can be of any further assistance to you both today. I truly hope you were able to view my responses earlier this evening...

I apologize if you had difficulties with the site last night. I hope Scotch is doing well and having no issues with his ingestion...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I would love an update when you are able

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!