Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I think she may have just ate a dayquil pill, She is approx

Customer Question

I think she may have just ate a dayquil pill
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: She is approx 1 yr and her name is ginger
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ginger?
Customer: She is a blck mouth cur and approx 35 to 40 pds
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $14 after the Veterinarian responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

The ingredients in Dayquil - acetaminophen, dextromethorphan, and phenylephrine - aren't present in sufficient amounts to cause significant adverse effects in Ginger. Acetaminophen toxicity isn't considered until 70 mg/lb (at least 2,450 mg for Ginger) is ingested. Dextromethorphan isn't recommended for dogs any longer due to lack of efficacy. Phenylephrine at just 5 mg in a 35 lb dog should have negligible effects - increased blood pressure, mainly. You might see transient gastrointestinal distress - inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea - from ingesting such an unusual "food" but toxicity isn't likely unless Ginger had an idiosyncratic (peculiar) reaction to one of those ingredients. There's no reason to induce emesis or treat in any manner.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.