Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital
92209471

Jaramillo asked ... We are looking to buy a enlglish lab

Customer Question

Robert Jaramillo asked ...
We are looking to buy a enlglish lab puppy that is 11weeks old that has a slight overbite. Does this have a possibility to get worse or be expensive to upkeep to prevent an oral or appearance issue
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Her are pictures of the overbite and pup.
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 9 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H for short. Cute puppy! : ) So to answer your question yes overbites cause misalignment of the teeth which can create issues later on which can be fairly manageable in my opinion, which include 1)Pressure sores from the teeth embedding in the lip area and 2) Increased chance of dental disease.

These are pretty manageable with some proactive measures on your part as an owner. First you want to stay on top of brushing your pets teeth. Brushing the teeth can greatly help with tartar build-up and can help you visualize the mouth daily so that problems can be addressed quickly and effectively.

Also there are endodontists that may be available in your area to place braces on your pets teeth (not unheard of in today's society) to help achieve proper alignment.

- Dr. H

Hi Robert,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Drhollowayvet