Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog started vomitting a couple days ago, yesterday the

Customer Question

My dog started vomitting a couple days ago, yesterday the vomit was yellow. He seems pretty weak, but is drinking good, not eating a lot.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not sure, he was eating leaves off a bush but he eats grass when his stomach is upset so don't think that caused it
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Skittles, he is 16 years old so a bit concerned. He seems better today at least is moving around
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Skittles?
Customer: No other than arthritis he is very healthy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $14 after the Veterinarian responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he lethargic?

2- Is he drinking more than usual?

3- Is he currently on any medications?

4- How much does Skittles weigh?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is was lethargic yesterday but a little more active today, drinking normal, no medications and weighs 14 lbs.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

How long has it been since the last time he vomited?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He threw up this morning after he ate but probably has been 5 hours, prior to that it was at least 14 hours
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, vomiting can be caused by either primary problems in the gastrointestinal tract or secondary to a systemic disease. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, pancreatitis, etc. to name a few causes. The fact that Skittles is 16 years old we also have to rule out systemic diseases like: Kidney or liver disease, hormonal disorders, tumors, etc. to name a few causes.

In this case, I would strongly recommend a hands on examination with family vet, blood work, urinalysis and +/-xrays as initial screening test to determine the exact underlying cause. In the meantime in any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 4-6 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 4-6 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter