Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital
92209471

Small 8 lb chug is lethargic and air licking today,

Customer Question

small 8 lb chug is lethargic and air licking today, yesterday she was given the flea and tick topical sentry. last night she was itching a great deal but still playing and happy. after reading all the online issues with sentry i am worried its a reaction
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 9 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H for short. I am sorry to hear that your pet seems to be having a possible reaction to the Sentry topical flea/tick preventative. Yes I do fear that it is possibly related. I have seen some issues with this product personally.

I would recommend that your bath your pet immediately with dish dawn detergent, this is great at stripping off the product. You can bathe up to to 3 times over the course of the day. Then follow up with a gentle oatmeal puppy shampoo to help restore the oil glands in the skin and to help prevent dryness.

Also to ensure she is not shocky can you check a couple of vitals for me.

1) Gums- are the gums nice and pink. Also while you looking at the mouth, press your pointer finger on his gum just above his teeth until it blanches white, then quickly release your finger. Count how many seconds it takes for the color to return to pink.

2) Heartrate - The next thing we want to do is to get his heartrate. You can achieve this by placing your two forefingers on the inside of the back leg in the thigh area. You should be able to feel a pulse. You may have to move around until you find it. Then count each pulse for 15 seconds. Once you have that number multiply it by 4 and let me know what that # *****

- Dr. H

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We took her to her vet she's just to lethargic but thank you so much for getting back to us

Ok you are welcome. Thanks for responding to my reply. I do appreciate that. I do hope that she feels better soon and makes a full recovery. They will most likely check her vitals to make sure she is not in shock and give her proper treatment (i.e IV fluids, medications if shock is present). And a good bath to rinse off any residual product.

I would recommend for future use either Nexgard or topical Advantix for flea/tick prevention. There is even a flea tick collar that lasts 8 months called Seresto that works great for dogs.

Once again good luck moving forward with her care.

Best regards,

Dr. H

Hi Rachel,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Drhollowayvet