Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 10 year old Golden Retriever has had a growth on s

Customer Question

My 10 year old Golden Retriever has had a growth on his buttocks for awhile now and it has gotten larger. My vet wants to surgically remove it to prevent it from becoming cancerous and tells me we should also get him neutered to prevent further growth. He sits up alot and balances on that area (Like he is begging) and when it first appeared the vet said it was like a callous a human would get from repeatedly putting pressure on an area. It is soft to the touch and seems to have fluid in it. It has increased in size and is light pink and brown on the side of his tail. About the size of a Golf Ball. He has no other health problems.
Should I get it removed and will getting neutered help him from future health issues?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 9 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is the growth near the anal sphincter?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's about an inch and a half below the anus to the right. He does have to get his glands drained often-every 6 weeks or so.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
In fact I had just had huis glands drained and took him to the Groomer who was the one who originally noticed it because he had irrated the area by tring to scratch it on the carpet. When I tool him back to the vet to show them that's when they said it was nothing to worry about.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I was wondering why they hadn't seen it when they drained his glands.

Friend, tumors that are near the anal sphincter whether they are malignant or benign it is best to have them removed before they get big and interfere with the anal sphincter. You see, what happens is that as they get larger if it involves the anal sphincter it will be difficult for the veterinarian to get it all off; the dog then may suffer from fecal incontinence. So, before it gets to that point it is best to have it removed.

As far as getting him neutered, that is an excellent idea as well. Very often tumors that develop in the anal area are the result of the hormones produced by the testicles. So, getting him neutered will decrease the chances of him developing more of these growth in the future.

I can't tell you why they didn't notice it before. Perhaps it wasn't there.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter