Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as a veterinarian working with man's best friend. Have worked with pets, hunting and herding dogs, hounds, and breeders.
92155571

I woke up this morning, and my dog was limping looked as if

Customer Question

i woke up this morning, and my dog was limping looked as if in left hip region, and he had thrown up twice thru the night. He is accustomed to a grain free diet. I had ran out of dog food, so got a small bag of purina dog chow. he is eating and drinking no temp
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about Gunner's issues. The vomiting could definitely be caused by the switch in food. Going from a grain-free diet to Purina dog chow is quite a change, like us going from vegetables to cookies. You can try giving him some boiled chicken and rice for a couple of days to give his GI system a break and then get him back on his old diet.

The limping could be a number of things. It could be from something he did yesterday or during the night. If he hasn't had any problems with this before, chances are it's either a sprain/strain or muscle injury. If you have any antiinflammatories for dogs, such as Rimadyl, Previcox or Meloxicam, you can try him on those for a few days with strict rest. No jumping, running, leash walks only.

If you don't have anything for dogs, you can use buffered aspirin. The dose is one 325mg per 30lb. Give with a meal. If he is not better by Thursday or Friday, consider taking him to a veterinarian. I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your reply. His back legs wouldn't move so I took him to the vet. His blood labs were good however fecal test had wood chips and plastic wrapper along with positive for worms. After he was wormed and treated for pain. He's much much better.
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 9 months ago.

I'm relieved he is doing better. Sorry I couldn't help you further.