Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog has been bloated over the past few days and seems to

Customer Question

My dog has been bloated over the past few days and seems to be a little constipated. The vet said to give her dulcolax but I could only find bisocodyl 5 mg in tab for at the store. How much should I give my dog that weighs 18 pounds?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Haylee

Sorry to hear Muffin is a little unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Bisacodyl is in fact the same as Dulcolax so no problem there.

2. For a dog of your one's size I personally would normally suggest 10 mg { Two of your 5 mg tablets } given once a day orally.

3. Here is a link to an accurate article which covers how this drug is used in the dog you can research things further there : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Haylee,

I am just checking back in to see how Muffin is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Bisocodyl issue...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about Muffin. How is everything going?
Vet_Answers