Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog stands and won't lay down. She hacks if I try to pick

Customer Question

My dog stands and won't lay down. She hacks if I try to pick her up.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Griffen she is about 9 years old. Eskipoodle
JA: Huh?
Customer: Part poodle and American eskimo
JA: What is the poodle's name?
Customer: Griffen
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Griffen?
Customer: She stands mostly because it's easier for her to breathe and keeps from hacking
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

Resistance to lying down indicates respiratory compromise. The lungs on the side that contacts the ground normally collapse when a dog lies down. If Griffen's lungs are already compromised, once they collapse her ability to oxygenate herself is compromised further. Her hacking when picked up supports that her lungs are compromised. Griffen needs the attention of a vet at your earliest convenience. Supplemental oxygen is essential prior to her examination which should include careful ausculatation (listening) of her heart and X-rays of her heart and lungs. Time is of the essence in these cases.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What can I do for her now before I take her to the vet? What is the cost?

Unfortunately, you can only keep her as quiet as possible which will lessen her need to oxygenate herself. The most likely finding will be congestive heart failure. I can't know what Griffen's vet will charge you for an exam, diagnostics, and prescriptions but it should be less than $600. Always ask for a written estimate before anything is done.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No thank you. It's difficult for me to talk. My heart is breaking for her. Thank you for your help. Frances

You're quite welcome, Frances. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He's Dr. I will thank you

I appreciate it! No need to reply at this time.