Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Our shihtzu is on rifampin extreme infection. She has been

Customer Question

Our shihtzu is on rifampin for an extreme infection. She has been on the medication now for 2 weeks. Today, she won't eat, is lethargic, is shaking. We're concerned that this surpasses anticipated side effects. Advice??
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. What sort of infection is your Shihtzu being treated for, and is she responding to treatment?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has a multi drug resistant staph infection (wound culture revealed rods, cocci, and high number of neutraphils.) She was previously on a variety of antibiotics and continued to develop sores all over her body with corresponding hair loss. The rifampin seemed to slow the sores, but her appetite is very diminished and she is now weak and shaking. She is also taking denamarin to help her liver enzymes.

Hello again

Sorry to learn of your Shihtzu's problems, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Where I have prescribed Rifampin in the past I have found it to be a drug with a high margin of safety in the dog and have never experienced any side effects with it other than the usual gastroenteritis type symptoms which are common with all antibiotics because of their effect on the gut bugs.

Here is a link to an accurate article which covers the use of Rifampin in the dog so you can research things further : LINK

2. For the above reason I strongly suspect that what you are seeing is not related to the use of Rifampin but due to some aspect of your dog's disease condition, but what that would be is sadly not possible to assess via the internet. Under the circumstances your best way forward is to have her checked over by your vet ASAP.

Sorry I cannot safely give you more specific advice ...

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your Shihtzu is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Rifampin issue ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Vet_Answers