Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Have a 4 month old puppy dribbling from one side of her

Customer Question

Have a 4 month old puppy dribbling from one side of her mouth. She has had an op for cherry eye where the breeder had her tear duct removed about a month ago and she suffers with dry eye now are the two things linked ?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Misty
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Misty?
Customer: She has eye drops twice a day for her dry eye
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. I cannot see that there would be any connection between the dry eye and the dribbling from the mouth that you are now seeing, these are almost certainly two separate issues. { FYI - Here is a link to an accurate article which cover dry eye : LINK }

2. In a dog of four months of age there could be very simple explanation for the dribbling, you see this is teething time, when the puppy's milk teeth are replaced by the adult teeth and as the new teeth push through you may see salivation and oral inflammation and discomfort but this will soon pass. If this is not the cause then consider foreign objects like pieces of chicken bone trapped in the mouth or oral infections of some sort.

The best thing to do is to have a good look in her mouth and see if you can see anything obvious such as the factors I have mentioned but if you still draw a blank and symptoms continue then the best thing is to have your vet check her over ...

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I was wondering you have had a chance to assess her teeth and mouth in the region where the dribbling is occurring?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your puppy is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the salivation issue ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Vet_Answers