Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have a 7 year old husky who is on prion tablets. we

Customer Question

I have a 7 year old husky who is on prion tablets. we adopted her from a friend who had rescued her. We were told by her previous vet that she would be on proin for the rest of her life and need yearly urine analysis to get the pill. Now my vet (VCA) wants a six month urine analysis and bloodwork to refill the prescription. I feel like they are ripping us off.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the husky's name?
Customer: Kenai There is no strange behavior. She is healthy and just has bladder leakage. The vet charged us $400 in may for a urine analysis because she starting peeing in the house. Then wanted us to send her to a dog optamologist because of her eye. SHe is a rescue dog
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kenai?
Customer: Is there an alternative or another way to get proin tablets
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $14 after the Veterinarian responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I entered my credit card info. What do I do now? I lost the page I was on
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

It's not uncommon for some of these corporate vet hospitals (VCA, Banfield) to have protocols that they must follow. It's probably their protocol to have a urinalysis every 6 months for Proin. This is a prescription med, so you do need a veterinary script to order it, even from online pharmacies.

If you don't agree with the every 6 month urinalysis requirements, then I would use a different vet. I would go with a private vet as opposed to a corporate vet. They are much more lenient with their requirements. Yearly urinalysis is ideal, but I know a lot of vets who are just happy to examine the dog once a year for something like this that is pretty commonplace.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much. Do you have any recommendations for La QUinta CAlifornia?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

I practice in Michigan. I don't know anyone in that area personally, sorry.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?