Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as a veterinarian working with man's best friend. Have worked with pets, hunting and herding dogs, hounds, and breeders.
92155571

My dog just ate two Vicodin. He is 35 lbs. what do I do

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. Try to get him to vomit by giving him 2 TBSP hydrogen peroxide. Repeat every 10 minutes for up to 3 times. Giving a small meal right before the hydrogen peroxide can help too.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok I will do that. If he doesn't vomit, then what do I do?
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 9 months ago.

Were they the regular strength Vicodin (5mg/300mg)?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
They were 5mg/325mg
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 9 months ago.

That is about twice the recommended dose of Tylenol for a dog that size. This can cause toxicity. If you are unable to get him to vomit the pills up, consider getting him to a vet for activated charcoal or possible gastric lavage.

Watch him for signs of lethargy, rapid breathing, or darkening of his gum color.

Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 9 months ago.

The toxic dose of Tylenol for a dog his size would be 3 of those Vicodin, so you are getting very close. If he absolutely won't vomit, and a vet visit is not an option, watch him for the signs mentioned above. Give him plenty of fresh water and possibly a vitamin C supplement. I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you sir. I will contact you either way to let you know what happened. I appreciate the help greatly.
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 9 months ago.

You are welcome.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I just gave him the last dose of peroxide and he hasn't thrown up. He's also started to pant and his gums are a dark red. What does that mean?
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 9 months ago.

You should get him to a vet.

Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I was just checking in to see how your dog was doing.