Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

This morning my 6 1/2 year old bichon girl is not using her

Customer Question

This morning my 6 1/2 year old bichon girl is not using her back legs. Does not seem to have any pain. I can pick her up and she stretched her back legs out on my lap but when i put her back down she just sits there.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Not sure what else to to tell you. It's like her back legs just can't hold her up.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 9 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she dragging her back legs?

2- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

3- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No other symptoms, not dragging her legs as she's not moving

1- Can she stand and support her weight?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, if I stand her up she just sits again

1- Does she collapsed or does she have motor control and sits as she normal would?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She sits as she normally does and after a little bit lies down

Can you check her anal area for any swelling or anything that you think might not look right?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry but this is taking too lone. My vet opens in 5 minutes so I think i'll just head his way.

Friend, I am sorry it is taking so long. But, I am sure you can understand that I don't have the benefit of a hands on examination so I need to rely on a very good clinical history to understand the nature of the problem. If you have access to a veterinarian that is definitely the better option. Have a great day.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Just got back... She's fine, she had pulled a muscle, vet gave her kind of anti inflammatory/pain med and she's back to dancing around on her hinds legs. Whew! what a relief.

Excellent, I am happy to learn she is doing better. :) Thank you for the update.