Galina Bershteyn
Galina Bershteyn,
Experience:  veterinarian at Bloorcourt Veterinary Clinic
93140712

We determined Saturday she is anemic with gh blood cell

Customer Question

We determined Saturday she is anemic with high white blood cell count, mass in large abdomen.started prednisone & iron in case it's an enlarged spleen do to a type of anemia. Only symtom before this weekend was turning her nose up at her food, tried finding other foods to tempt her. She ate some dog food Saturday morning. Saturday night got her to eat chicken breast, yesterday scrambled eggs & chicken breast. She has not had a bowel movement since early Sunday morning. Is sleeping more, weaker. If she doesn't have a BM this morning or doesn't eat, how long does she have before shutting down. I don't want her to suffer yet I don't want to make a decision prematurely before giving the prednisone time to start helping, if it will help. She's drinking, sometimes on her own, sometimes when we offer it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Saturday morning?
Customer: She's 17, found that she lost half a lb since September, she's now 8 lbs.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $14 after the Veterinarian responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She just threw up a lot of water and there was some chicken in it from yesterday afternoon. I just offered her boiled ground beef and she is eating it. She is up and walking around some now, she knew I was getting ready to feed our other dogs.
Expert:  Galina Bershteyn replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I'm glad to hear that she still has an appetite but certainly nausea is one of the symptoms of an abdominal tumour. It sounds like you may want to speak to your veterinarian about an anti-nausea medication like famotidine (pepcid AC) or cerenia. I would also stick with feeding bland, easily digestible food like you have been feeding-plain rice, eggs, plain chicken, lean beef, pumpkin and squash as well as a very small amount of ground ginger are also good for nausea. My concern is if there is a mass on the spleen and she is anemic there may be a risk of internal hemorrhage if the mass starts to bleed. If the diagnosis is a splenic hemangiosarcoma, there is a chinese herbal called Yunnan Biao that can be used to prevent hemorrhage. I suggest discussing with your veterinarian if this may be a good option for your dog.

Please le tme know if there's anything else I can do to help!