Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog keeps chattering s teeth and we've noticed it's after

Customer Question

My dog keeps chattering his teeth and we've noticed it's after he has licked or sniffed our Bitch's back end. She is in heat and we are planning to breed them this time round.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is just over a year old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Storr?
Customer: No he is other wise healthy.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

If your lad is teeth chattering after he sniffs/licks your bitch's back end,we'd not be worried here. This is a normal behavior as part of the Flehmen response, which is how they scent the female being in heat. When dong this, they actually tend to rapidly push their tongue against the roof of the mouth, chatter their teeth, and some can show the accumulation of profuse foam/drool on the upper lip. So, as long as he is doing this after sniffing her or taking a big sniff of the air when scenting her, this teeth chattering is no worry. We'd expect it to settle once she is out of heat.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )