Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

WE HAVE A 14# CHIHUAHUA MIX THAT WE RECENTLY ADOPTED WHO WAS

Customer Question

WE HAVE A 14# ***** MIX THAT WE RECENTLY ADOPTED WHO WAS ON ADVANTAGE MULTI, 9.1-20#, BUT SHE HAD TAPEWORMS SO WAS CHANGED TO INTERCEPTOR PLUS, 8.1-25#. WE TOOK HER CAMPING THIS WEEKEND AND SHE GOT FLEAS! YIKES!!! SHE GOT THE INTERCEPTOR PLUS 4-5 DAYS AGO, BUT IT DOESN'T SAY IT KILLS FLEAS. WE STILL HAVE THE ADVANTAGE MULTI. CAN WE PUT THE ADVANTAGE MULTI ON HER NOW TO KILL ANY SHE MAY HAVE AND KEEP HER FROM GETTING INFESTED? I TALCED HER DOWN AND IT HAS MADE HER CALMER, BUT, SHY OF A DEAD DOG, THE LAST THING I WANT IS AN INFESTATION OF FLEAS!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Cathy

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. There are a number of ways of tackling this but I think the most straight forward way would be to continue with the interceptor plus since prevention of heartworm is your main priority and then combine it with Frontline Plus to control fleas and ticks, many owners take this approach.

2. In the meantime just wash Genie with a baby shampoo or failing that use Dove washing up soap. Both these products are surprisingly good at killing fleas. We often suggest this for small puppies who are too young for convention flea meds so I know it works quite well. Let the shampoo or soap soak in for 15 minutes or so before you rinse. This should tide you over until you can get the Frontline.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Genie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the flea products ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about Genie. How is everything going?
Vet_Answers