Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Our little dog is constipated what are some over the counter

Customer Question

our little dog is constipated what are some over the counter products we can use? She is a small dog weighs about 10 pounds.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that Pebbles appears to be constipated. There are actually a number of acceptable over the counter options from which you choose and which can be given alone or together. If she's not too terribly constipated, then the following oral options are ones to consider:

1. Hairball laxatives such as Laxatone or Laxaire which are hairball laxatives for cats. These products will often work very well on a small dog. I'd give 1 inch 3 times a day.

2. Canned pumpkin (NOT the pie mix); 1-4 tsp daily in food for small dogs Squash can be substituted for pumpkin.

3. Human Miralax at a dose of 1/4-1/2th tsp twice daily

4. Raw bran flakes (wheat bran, not the cereal) at a dose of ¼-1/2 tsp daily

5. Docusate Sodium (Colace) 25 mg once or twice a day for small dogs.

If Pebbles is badly constipated, then she may need an enema.

1. A pediatric glycerin suppository can be given --- http://pedia-lax.com/products/liquid-glycerin-suppositoriesactum.

2. Manual evaluation is sometimes helpful if you feel up to the task:

a) Sometimes if you can remove enough hard feces that are present right at the anal opening, the patient is able to evacuate the remainder. So, if you'd like to try and remove fecal material, the following is how you would do so: Place a latex glove on your hand and lubricate it really well with K/Y jelly or Petroleum Jelly and lubricate her rectum, too. Gently insert your index finger into the anus up to your first or second knuckle, and hook your finger into fecal material and gently retract it. You may need to perform this procedure several times.
I would have someone helping you since this may be a little uncomfortable for Pebbles and you don't want to get injured yourself.
Ii understand that this is not something that everyone will feel comfortable doing.

b. Another option would be if you have a large syringe or turkey baster, you can also give her a warm water enema. Obviously, this is not for the faint hearted either. I would lubricate the end of the syringe or baster, gently insert into her rectum about 1 inch and gently squeeze the warm water into her
You may also need to repeat this procedure several times to loosen up any hard stool which is present in the colon.
Every step should be done gently so as not to hurt her.

I hope this helps and that she receives relief with at least one of the methods mentioned above. Deb

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If pebbles goes a little tiny bit, can you give another suppositories?
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 10 months ago.

Yes, you can give multiple suppositories if necessary. I usually recommend waiting several hours between each one and I usually suggest no more than 2-3. If they aren't successful, then something else may be going on such that a vet visit would be prudent.

Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 10 months ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Pebbles. How are things going with her? Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 10 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Pebbles. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb