Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog is similar that he is squeezing in s stomach then

Customer Question

My dog is similar that he is squeezing in his stomach then fills with gas soon after. He is squeezing and holding gas in until I walk him to release it is toot. He has had barium x-ray nothing abnormal, does have mucus in stool occasionally. Has been going on for year now and eating homemade dog food turkey and sweet potato. His back legs tremble after walk.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. When conservative testing hasn't clarified a gastrointestinal disorder, scoping and biopsying of Marlon's gastrointstinal tract is indicated. There's apparently a motility problem resulting in the accumulation of gas and a gas-forming overgrowth of bacteria may have arisen as well. Yes, a low folate serum level implies duodenal (part of the small intestine) mucosal disease with a very high specificity. It's important to also measure serum cobalamin (vitamin B12). If the level of vitamin B12 is also low, diffuse small intestine mucosal diseases (inflammatory bowel disease, lymphosarcoma), lymphangectasia, and short bowel syndrome are important differential diagnoses.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a medication that might relax his digestive system as he sits after eating he bloats but laying down after eating he is fine

Yes, there are prescription anticholinergic drugs which "relax" the GI tract but they might result in even more bloating because they slow the motility of his GI tract even further. A pro-motility drug might be more appropriate. Discuss the use of metoclopramide (Reglan) with his vet. This drug helps empty the stomach. For now you can see if an over the counter antacid such as famotidine (Pepcid) dosed at 0.25 mg/lb twice daily is of value to Marlon. Metoclopramide and famotidine can also be given concomitantly.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Hi Cindy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Marlon. How is everything going?