Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

11 year old terrier diarrhea with blood started four days

Customer Question

11 year old ***** ***** terrier diarrhea with blood started four days after 2 year possibly pregnant teacup chihuahua had diarrhea. Their food was changed three days before the chihuahua got sick.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the terrier?
Customer: He has to go out every 2-5 minutes
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $14 after the Veterinarian responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 9 months ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this. Are you available for chat?

Expert:  Dr B replied 9 months ago.

Ok, I will go ahead and help you even if not available for chat.....

Expert:  Dr B replied 9 months ago.

This is a very common scenario especially in the Spring and most especially with dog food changes.......I would suggest that you start feeding very small meals of boiled chicken and rice. Your pet has developed a colitis which you may end up needing medication for as prolonged diarrhea can cause significant dehydration. I would also get some regular plain pedialyte from the store and try adding this in with the chicken and rice meals.....this will help prevent dehydration. In addition you can purchase some lomotil and this should be given at 0.1 mg pound of body weight. Do not use this with your pregnant dog. But you can give your pregnant dog pedialyte if needed and the chicken and rice. I am guessing you JRT is about 15-18 pounds but if you give me the weight and I can get a dose calculated for you of the lomotil. If all this does not work then I would suggest you see your vet and ask for some Metronidazole for your JRT. Can I answer any further questions today? Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 9 months ago.

I will be standing by so let me know the weight of your JRT and I can calculate dose of lomotil for you. DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 9 months ago.

I am checking back in to see if you have any questions about any information I have given you......Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you very much!

Expert:  Dr B replied 9 months ago.

HI this is DRB and I will check back in with you tonight since you are not online now. Feel free to leave any questions you have here and I will get back to you. Sincerely, DRB