Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My chihuahua had had diarrhea since I boarded m Monday

Customer Question

My chihuahua had had diarrhea since I boarded him Monday night. He has inky eaten twice since then also
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: A couple of weeks ago I think he ate 2 fun size butterfingers candy bars bc u can't find them but had no symptoms He was acting normal before I boarded him and since I boarded him Monday noght. He ate Tuesday afternoon when I brought him home and then has diarrhea and been lethargic
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 9 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any blood in the stool?

2- How old is he?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Any vomiting?

5- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He will be 4 in May and no to all the other questions except what I already told you

1- How much does he weigh?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
12-13 lbs
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He has eaten twice since Tuesday and has also had diarrhea since then, runny loose stools. They were getting thicker so I thought maybe he was getting better. The diarrhea is a dark brown in color

Friend, the fact that he has a history of being boarding I would recommend you drop a stool sample to your family vet for a fecal analysis to check for intestinal parasites. Other possible causes for diarrhea are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Pepto Bismol 1 teaspoon every 8 hours for 1-2 days.

2- Offer him a bland diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have him checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 8 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter