Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My biewer. she is really playful and energetic i cant see

Customer Question

hi my biewer. she is really playful and energetic i cant see any symptoms of any illness but during feeding time she just usually smell is and will not eat
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: she's 9 months her name is lezzy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lezzy?
Customer: i believe nothing more she's very active, and attentive just during feeding time i dont know if shes really picky or what
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $14 after the Veterinarian responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

I can understand your frustration with Lezzy. Anorexia is one of the least specific clinical signs and will not in itself direct the clinical evaluation. Anorexia is purely an indication of underlying disease. For the truly anorexic patient, the causes may be legion. It's vital to differentiate between a patient disinterested in eating and one who experiences difficulty or discomfort while eating. Thereafter, routine laboratory tests and diagnostic imaging complement the history and physical exam for elucidating the cause of anorexia.

Here is a synopsis of the differential diagnosis for anorexia:

Disinterested in food altogether (true anorexia): systemic disease, infection/inflammation, neoplasia, food aversion

Reluctance to eat (pseudoanorexia)

Associated with pain/discomfort

Painful prehension or mastication, odynophagia (repeated attempts at swallowing) as seen with: retrobulbar abscesses from apical/tooth root abscesses, e.g., intraoral masses/foreign bodies, mandibular fractures/temporomandibular joint disease, masticatory myositis (inflammation of the muscles of chewing), periodontal disease, salivary gland disorders, oropharyngeal dysphagia, esophageal disease (masses, foreign bodies), nasal disease affecting sense of smell.

Associated with nausea

Gastrointestinal inflammatory disease Ileus (paralysis of the GI tract), delayed gastric emptying, vestibular disease, side effect of medications; many drugs have GI tract side effects.

The initial database for pseudoanorexia is a neurologic examination, oral, dental, and cranial examination (sedation or general anesthesia); radiographs of the teeth, mandible, or nasal cavity may be required. Thoracic radiographs and/or endoscopy to evaluate the esophagus and gastroesophageal sphincter for any obstruction (e.g., strictures, masses, foreign bodies) or mobility problems. The initial database for true anorexia involves laboratory testing and imaging as suggested by history and physical exam findings.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.