Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

Shitzue, Mitzu 9 yrs. just finished antibiotic infection.

Customer Question

Shitzue , Mitzu 9 yrs. just finished antibiotic for systemic infection. Changed to low calorie can food same time. She has been eating just fine. After dinner last night she began walking stiff leg and panting and would not eat or drink anything further she won't lay down for a very long she sits up instead she's walking stiff leg Ed about 3 feet and then since I've given her Toradol muscle relaxer
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 9 months ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about Mitzu.
I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.
So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm here did I give enough information?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 9 months ago.

Yes, thank you. It sounds like you're in a really difficult situation with Mitzu; I'm sorry to hear that. The first thing that comes to mind for me when reading your description is that she's having some pretty serious neck pain. That can be associated with some serious things, like a slipped disc, so you're correct to take this seriously.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I sent this information to Dr Gary about 30 min ago and was charged $5 and then the site went away. Please don't charge me twice.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What do you suggest I do?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 9 months ago.

I understand you don't want to be charged twice. Rest assured the customer support team is excellent and they can address any concerns about payment you might have.

I'm afraid I can't help you with payment issues, however; I'm here to talk about Mitzu.

Typing in what I think you should do below...

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 9 months ago.

Because she is showing signs of neck pain, it's absolutely crucial for you to do the best you can to restrict her activity until she can get in to the vet.

• no running
  • no jumping
  • no stairs
  • no getting up and down off of furniture
  • no pulling on a leash/collar. Use a harness

She should spend as much time lying in bed as possible. Carry her outside and set her down only to go to the bathroom, and nothing more. Taking measures like this is crucial when it's possible a dog may have a slipped disc in order to prevent paralysis.

Additionally, I would advise handling this as a medical emergency. She needs to see a vet as soon as possible so she can have the necessary diagnostic testing done (including x-rays) to determine the exact diagnosis. Then the appropriate treatment can be prescribed.

But STRICT ACTIVITY RESTRICTION is crucial until then.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 9 months ago.

Does this help to answer your question at this point in time? I'm sorry Mitzu is having trouble. I want to be as helpful as possible because I know what it's like to worry and feel so helpless.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you. I will get her to the vet asap
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 9 months ago.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that it turns out to be something simple and she has a speedy recovery.

Is there anything else I can help you with tonight?

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 9 months ago.

Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you.
If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.
If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.
Thank you for using our website.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 9 months ago.

Just checking in to ask how things are going with Mitzu. Is she doing any better yet?

Thank you,

Dr. Jo