How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Gary Your Own Question
Dr. Gary
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 19324
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Gary is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog had rat poison tablet in s mouth. I 't think he

Customer Question

My dog had rat poison tablet in his mouth. I don't think he chewed it, but he was licking it. The poison is brome thallium. What can I do?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

Hello.

Bromethalin is a toxin that can potentially cause neurologic signs- tremors, seizures, even death if enough was ingested. I always treat if there is suspected exposure, as there is no reversal agent or effective treatment once they show signs.

With an unknown amount ingested, I would do the following:

1. Induce vomiting. We do this by giving 1 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide per 5 lb body weight.

2. Take him to a vet to give activated charcoal. This will bind any toxin that is in the GI tract or going through the bile circulation

3. Monitor for 12 hours. This can be done at home. If any tremors or seizures, then get him hospitalized. Most dogs show no signs as long as we do the GI decontamination up front.

I don't ever trust that all of it was spit out. I always assume some was ingested and error on the side of caution.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.
Hi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Cooper. How is everything going?
Dr. Gary