Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My injured her leg two days ago and was limping tonight

Customer Question

My ***** ***** injured her leg two days ago and was limping tonight about 6 hours ago we noticed swelling and it's doubled. I can't get to a vet til tommorrow. She's 13. I love her. What can I do? Thank you Peige Willis-Rose
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that your pup injured her leg two days ago and now tonight has lots of swelling that is quickly increasing.

You can try alternating warm and cold packs on her affected leg, and gently massaging her leg to get the swelling down.

Cold reduces inflammation and warm encourages circulation.

In case this has an allergic component you can give Benadryl (diphenhydramine only, the combination products with decongestants and acetaminophen are toxic to dogs) at a dose of 1mg to 2mg per pound of body weight every 8 hours. That's a half of 25mg tablet every 8 hours for a pet that is 8 to 15 pounds. If this helps plan on giving Benadryl for at least 72 hours (3 days) to allow the allergen time to clear.

I do recommend that she see her veterinarian in the morning for an examination, whether she seems to be a bit better or not.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not and you found my information helpful please remember to rate my response positively so I may receive credit for my work thank you, ***** *****