Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Canine, suspected pregnant at 50 days. Very enlarged

Customer Question

Canine, suspected pregnant at 50 days. Very enlarged nipples, some midsection growth. Acting 100% normal, no fever. Went to check for any fetal movement today (intend to get xray next week if symptoms persist) and noticed dark red (not black, but clearly not fresh blood) discharge. Spotting, not gushing. No odor. No distress. Eating like a hog! ! Should I freak out now? It's after business hours on a Friday... I thought the rule was if it's not black or green we are OK, but I'm freaking myself out with online chat rooms. ER visit needed? Miscarriage? ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drshahzad replied 9 months ago.

Is this question about yourself or someone else?

Have you had a pregnancy test done to confirm pregnancy?

Please let me know.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's about my dog. Pregnancy test not conducted. I waited for possible symptoms and vet said bring her in for an xray one week prior to due date.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This was supposed to go to a Vet!! It looks like it went to a human Dr. So sorry. Could you reroute me, pls? It already charged me and sent me to the wrong person.

I have sent the question to a moderator on here.

Who will redirect your question to the vet category.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

Hello. I'm sorry you got mis-directed to a human physician.

I like to error on the side of caution when I see discharge this late in a pregnancy. If it were green or black, that would be bad. The bloody discharge could be the signs of a miscarriage coming on. I would want to stick the ultrasound probe on her just to make sure our fetal heart rates are still doing ok. If any of them are dropping or if there is a dead puppy in there, that could explain the discharge. It could also be some vaginitis or even a mild urinary tract infection. That would be the best case scenario.

If you want to wait until your regular vet is open on Saturday, that is fine. If you notice any contractions or increased discharge or a change in color to dark or green, then I would go in right away.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We've seen no discharge since the spotting last night.... my vet is not open until Monday. She is still acting fine. No fever and no odor.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

Good. If it stopped on it's own, then it was unlikely to be anything significant.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

You're welcome.