Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I just noticed a bulge in my 5 month old Newfoundland, after

Customer Question

I just noticed a bulge in my 5 month old Newfoundland, after researching, I believe theres a good chance he has what there calling cherry eye. I have never heard of this till now. Can anything be done beside surgery, and what is the ball park figure of this kind of surgrey if need be. Thank-you! Randy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 9 months ago.

Hi Randy. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question. Can you take a photo of what you're seeing and post it here so I can view it. A cherry eye is a prolapse of a gland associated with the gland of the 3rd eyelid. It looks like a bulge on the inner edge of the eye (towards the side of the nose). It is typically pink / reddish. They are usually very comfortable when it happens as they aren't holding the eye shut or acting off in any way. Here is a link on it.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=567