Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

MY DOG REAR LEGS ARE SWOLLEN GIVING NHIM LASIX. HE HAS JUST

Customer Question

MY DOG REAR LEGS ARE SWOLLEN GIVING NHIM LASIX. HE HAS JUST HADA NUTERING A MONTH AGO.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: YES NO INJURY . HIS SACK IS LARGE AFTER URINATING HE DRIBBLES I THINK ITS AN ENLARGED PROSTATE PROBLEM. PRESSING ON HIS SWOLLEN LEGS HIS LEGS ARE WARM TO THE TOUCH
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: HIS NAME IS COSMO AND 6 YRS OLD.NO SIGN OF HIP RPOBLEMS IN THE PAST
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cosmo?
Customer: NO BUT THE SWELLING IN HIS LEGS WAS PRIOR TO THE NUTERING
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Cosmo. In most cases the swelling represents a peripheral/dependent edema secondary to either right-sided heart failure or a lack of albumin in his bloodstream caused by a failing liver unable to produce albumin or albumin loss through his kidneys or bowels. Has his vet carefully auscultated (listened to) Cosmos's heart and X-rayed it? Have diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests been performed to quantify his serum albumin level?

Such edema would be unusual secondary to prostatic disease unless a prostatic adenocarcinoma (cancer) had metastasized and cancer cells were blocking the lymphatic draining in his legs which then caused them to swell. Was this possibility mentioned to you and prostatic enlargement why Cosmo was neutered?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?