Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My chihuahua just has a little on puppies, and the first one

Customer Question

Hi,My chihuahua just has a little on puppies, and the first one born seems to have some issues with her back legs. They hang backwards and the toes curl up towards the ceiling with her pads pointed up. You can move the legs into the correct position with no problems or pain from the pup, but as soon as you let go they go back to the hanging position though she can move them. I do have an appointment with the vet, but that is not until Monday. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can upload a picture if necessary.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes I have, there are no wounds visible. At first I thought maybe the hips were broken during delivery, but she doesn't seem to be in pain and is able to move them.
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Just?
Customer: No I think that's it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Mother has had two more since, and they are prefect with no issues to their hind legs.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

Please see here: http://www.timbreblue.com/about-breeding/whippet-health/shamrock

The good news is that congenital metatarsal hyperextension usually corrects itself! Be very patient with this pup. She can normalize within a couple of months. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?