Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as a veterinarian working with man's best friend. Have worked with pets, hunting and herding dogs, hounds, and breeders.
92155571

The skin & hair between the pads of my dog' s feet appear

Customer Question

The skin & hair between the pads of my dog' s feet appear dark red. He is licking them constently
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about Buckley's troubles. Generally redness between the toes indicates an irritation like an allergy. Him licking them is his way of scratching. The problem with licking is it also puts a lot of moisture in there that can lead to a bacterial or yeast infection. Australian Shepards also have a lot of hair between their toes that traps moisture and can lead to an infection.

The typical treatment is clip or shave as much hair out of there as you can. This will help dry the area out. You can also apply witch hazel or astringent between the toes after the hair is removed. These are both good drying agents. If you do this, you will have to sit with Buckley to prevent him from licking the ointments off immediately. Usually after 10-15mins they will be dry and you can let him be.

You can also try Benedryl to help relieve the itchiness. The dose is 2-4 (25mg) tablets per 50 lbs. Start with the lowest dose and increase if needed. Be aware the higher doses can cause sedation. He can have Benedryl ever 6-8 hours.

If there is any foul odor to the feet, he will need to see a vet for possible antibiotics or steriods.

I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!

Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 10 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Buckley. How is everything going?
Dr-Bonk