Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

I have a 15 1/2 yr old pekaniese. He is blind ( lost s good

Customer Question

I have a 15 1/2 yr old pekaniese. He is blind ( lost his good this past Oct) and herniated several disk about 9 yrs ago. He is old and all hunched over. I can tell he is in a lot of pain. He stumbles a lot lately when he walks. Can bearly stand. I want to do the humain thing and put him down. But my husband won't let me. Thinks because he still looks for his treats when he comes in(I have to bring him in and out) that he still has life in him. Last July my husband in a work related accident received a Trimatic Brain Injury and I think this has something to do with why he won't let me do this.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: There are no wounds on his feet. So my question is I am thinking that I would like to put my dog down at home with a overdose. In my arms. I have a little less then 1/4 oz of Torbutinic from another dog. Can I use this. I do not want him to be in any distress. Just go to sleep and slowly slip away n
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: We have been given a soft chew for pain I know the name but can't think of it. I also have several pills of the same drug at home.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $14 after the Veterinarian responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I am Dr RB and I am a licensed veterinarian. First let me say that I am so sorry to hear you are going through this with your dog. It can be very hard to lose a pet especially when they have been with you for so long. It is difficult to say what is causing his pain and if it is associated or separate from his stumbling/neurologic behavior. In order to determine this, he would have to see a veterinarian to examine him and determine the correct diagnostics to how bad his disease state. I wonder if your husband may feel more comfortable with euthanasia as an option if this recommendation came from a doctor following evaluation of his blood values and/or x-rays of spine. If you to choose euthanasia, I do not recommend that you do this without veterinary supervision. Most veterinarians will make house calls to humanely euthanize your pet if you do want them to pass at home. Giving him a dose of Torbutrol will likely sedate him heavily but will not be what you need for a humane passing...

I hope this advice is helpful for you...

It is very concerning for us to see cats that do not eat for more than 24 hours, especially when we hear of potentially neurological symptoms such as stumbling or wobbling. If the symptoms of stumbling etc occurred BEFORE the decreased appetite, this may be due to a condition involving inflammation of the vestibular apparatus in the inner ear which can cause symptoms of vertigo with nausea and vomiting. Most times, once the symptoms of vertigo are treated, the appetite will resume. However, if the decreased appetite occurred first and then the wobbly behavior, then a number of conditions could be at play here, and the stumbling is occurring secondary to not eating..

At this point, I do believe the very best thing for Brutis is to have him seen by his regular veterinarian. A good physical exam and the correct diagnostics will help to determine where the problem lies and get him back on track.

I hope this advice was helpful to you:) Please do not forget to rate my answer.. I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with wonderful service. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Please do not forget to rate my answer.. I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with wonderful service. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Ola Barrett