How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Altman Your Own Question
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 11138
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Altman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 6lb yorkie just ate about 10 almonds and 10 milk

Customer Question

My 6lb yorkie just ate about 10 almonds and 10 milk chocolate pieces- should I induce vomitting
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Depending on the ounces of each chocolate this ingestion may result in moderate to more significant signs of chocolate ingestion symptoms which can include

  • Vomiting
  • GI Upset
  • Hyper Tension
  • Hyperactivity
  • Restlessness

If your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (i.e. 3/4 tsp) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

If there is no vomiting induced, please consider a veterinary er to administer stronger medications. If you have the ounces ingested of the milk chocolate then I am happy to calculate the level of concern but first priority is to remove if from her stomach

If you elect not to seek veterinary er care, there is no vomiting and you see muscle tremors, vomiting is not subsiding, or hyper excitability then please consider a veterinary er because these can be issues with chocolate toxicity. But if you see gi upset only then this should pass within the next 24 hours

Typically chocolate toxicity symptoms peak at 4-6 hours so if you pass this mark without symptoms then he should be just fine but taking a few precautions tonight:

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hours for 3 days (10 mg 1/8 tablet)
- Leash walks to help the chocolate pass more readily of >15 minutes
- Tonight bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken in small more frequent meals but waiting at least 12 hours after vomiting has subsided if she shows this symptom

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know who else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have Peroxyl which is 1.5% hydrogen peroxide. 10 ml=150mg. Is this ok?
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 9 months ago.

Unfortunately no, the other ingredients are not advised to be swallowed in this product. If you have a local drug store that you can get to quickly or a neighbor?

Do you know the ounces of chocolate ingested?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Never mind I found the 3% kind
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 9 months ago.

OK perfect!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 9 months ago.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
she vomited 5-6 times and it looks like everything came up. Because it was an m and m candy pieces- it was of course colored, but looked like mostly nuts. Should she be ok now and what should I look for over the next few hours?
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 9 months ago.

Depending on the ounces of each chocolate this ingestion may result in moderate to more significant signs of chocolate ingestion symptoms which can include

  • Continued Vomiting
  • GI Upset
  • Hyper Tension
  • Hyperactivity
  • Restlessness


Typically chocolate toxicity symptoms peak at 4-6 hours so if you pass this mark without symptoms then she should be just fine but taking a few precautions tonight:

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hours for 3 days (10 mg 1/8 tablet)
- Leash walks to help the chocolate pass more readily of >15 minutes
- Tonight bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken in small more frequent meals but waiting at least 12 hours after vomiting has subsided if she shows this symptom

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 9 months ago.

I am online an additional 15 minutes before exiting to see appointments this morning. Is there anything else I can assist with today?

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 9 months ago.

Good evening, I wanted to check in on Roxanne to see if she had any issues after ingesting the milk chocolate this morning? I would love an update when you are able

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!