Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have a 8 year old Boxer, he doesn't seem to be in any pain

Customer Question

Hi! My name is Dee. I have a 8 year old Boxer, he doesn't seem to be in any pain - and is drooling out of each side of his mouth and occasionally licking. He ate his dinner just fine, is not drinking anymore than usual. Is it possible he just ate something outside and it is bothering him?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He is also on thyroid medicine.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both tonight

I am so sorry to hear your pet is showing these symptoms tonight...

The primary cause of drooling and licking lips is nausea in dogs. Other possible causes include an abscessed tooth, a foreign body such as a stick in the mouth, a mass orally, or ingesting something that is bitter or caustic.

So in this situation the ideal thing is to treat as if it it nausea because it is the most readily treatable condition and if there is no change in the next 12 hours a veterinary exam is warranted to determine the underlying cause and begin appropriate treatment

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours which is for nausea and stomach acid buildup
- Take a nice long walk which increases gi motility, reduces abdominal cramping and nausea but please no grass eating
- No dinner if you have not already fed to allow the symptoms to subside without introducing anything orally that might result in progression to vomiting. Since you have already fed if this continues overnight please no breakfast as a precaution
- Water only in moderation
- If the drooling has subsided, in the morning small frequent meals of a bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today! I am online another 30 minutes tonight to assist you both

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Hi Dee,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman