How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 19132
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I think my 65 lb mixed breed boxer pit ingested a small

Customer Question

I think my 65 lb mixed breed boxer pit ingested a small amount of Hershey kisses in foil. Maybe 10 Hershey kisses. Late last night. Fine all day till dinner time. Ate dinner. Vomitting now. My name is ***** *****. He also seems out of sorts.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Well is that small amount of chocolate dangerous? Also I believe the foil was ingested too.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Written reply is fine. Thank you! Waiting on a reply.Susan
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Nose is wet. Not sure if this is a wives tale or not.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 9 months ago.

Hello again Susan

Sorry to hear your dog is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Given the size of your dog and the amount of the chocolate eaten he has eaten you will not be likely to see any problems directly related to chocolate toxicity. You see milk chocolate is actually not that toxic to dogs compared to other forms, your dog would get around around 3 oz of chocolate from 10 Hersey Kisses. { They are not pure chocolate you see there are other ingredients }

2. The rule of thumb which I apply is that with milk chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when two ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. As your dog is 65 lbs in weight she could have eaten up to 45 ozs { Nearly three pounds } before you would need to even start to worry.

3. So from the above it is clear that chocolate toxicity will not be a problem, even if it was dark chocolate and in my experience the foil wrappers will just pass, although they may cause irritation to his intestinal tract but generally this is not dangerous. But when a dog eats any sort of stuff it should not have then a non specific gastroenteritis { as opposed to toxicity } may occur as many dogs have quite weak stomachs, and this may well be what is going on in your case.

4. There are a number of home remedies for vomiting in the dog which some owners use before getting a vet involved, these often work well for uncomplicated cases of gastroenteritis. Here are some examples.

A. I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

B. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.

The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

C. Live yogurt added to the food or given orally can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. A couple of tablespoons twice a day would be fine for a dog of your one's size.

5. But the important bot***** *****ne is that if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if he deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check him over just to be on the safe side.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you! I will follow this advice.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 9 months ago.

Hello again Susan,

Very glad to have advised you. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 9 months ago.

.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 9 months ago.

Hello again Susan,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Hershey's Kisses ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 9 months ago.
Hi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Vet_Answers