Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My dog was limping a few days ago, s right front leg

Customer Question

my dog was limping a few days ago, his right front leg appeared to be hurt. now he has what appears to be a bruise on the side of the same leg, but is no longer in pain.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: not really, just that the bruise is about the size of my palm, like fell or popped his shoulder out of place but now its fine. he is acting 100% normal, and is letting my wife touch it with no pain, she put an ice pack on it since it is a bruise.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that your pup was limping, but I'm glad to hear that he's feeling better.

Ultimately the main thing I'm looking for in my patients is their general attitude, behavior and appetite. If the limping has resided and he's eating and drinking normally and acting himself, then I'd suspect that he did have some sort of trauma, but he's over it now. They bruise for all the same reasons that we do, so it's certainly possible that he got bumped by something. It could also be unrelated and it could be that he's developing a dermal irritation (hot spot), in which case that area would start to get really itchy and uncomfortable to him. Since I can't see it with my own eyes, it's hard for me to tell you exactly what you're looking at, but since he's acting normally in every other way, then it's likely not an emergency. If the spot seems to be getting larger, becoming more painful, or he begins to act ill in any way, then I'd definitely want him to be seen by a vet. If it truly is just a bruise, then I'd expect it to gradually go away over the next 1-2 weeks with no intervention from us.

Please let me know what questions I can answer for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah im able to look at it now. It looks like a bruise, its pink/redish in color. He still limps slightly but other wise acts normal
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

If he's comfortable and improving, then it's reasonable to consider watching it. If you're seeing swelling, raw/ulcerated skin, his limping is worse or not improving, or he seems really irritated by the area or sick otherwise, I'd suggest having him examined. Are there any other questions I can handle for you?

~Dr. Sara

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If I've done a good job and you have no further questions, I'd really appreciate it if you could take a second to give me a favorable rating (hopefully it's FIVE stars - if not, let me know what I can do to make it that way!)

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Doc Sara