Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Dog threw up blood. Dog is 10 years old.

Customer Question

dog threw up blood. Dog is 10 years old.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Please call(###) ###-####dog threw up blood
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 10 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did she get into anything?

2- Is she lethargic?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Any other symptoms?

5- How much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
1. not sure . dog eats chipmunks
2. yes
3. bad hip bad knee on pain med tremedol one pill twice a day
4. does not want to eat but got her to eat twice today
5. 90 pounds

1- Is she on any other medication besides Tramadol?

2- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
1. no others meds but takes supplement for joints (flexall)
she has been coughing for months while she eats. The vet put her on an antibiotic for the cough, but she is off that now.
2. pale gums

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, when a dog is vomiting blood this could the result of disorders affecting the gastrointestinal tract or secondary to a systemic disease. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Ulcers, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, tumors, kidney or liver disease, toxicity, etc. to name a few causes. The other concern is her gums being pale; this could be a sign of: Anemia, poor circulation, blood shifting, decrease blood pressure or cardiac output, etc. Dogs that go untreated with pale gums could have a fatal outcome.

Unfortunately we are somewhat limited as to what you can do at home. I would strongly recommend having her checked tonight by ER veterinarian for supportive care. In addition, the attending veterinarian will be able to run some test to try to determine the cause of the vomiting with blood. If you do not have access to ER vet this is what you can do until she is seen in the morning by family veterinarian:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, continue giving her water in small amount every hour or so. Leave her without food until she is seen by vet in the morning.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination in the morning.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She eats rat too. She did seem more alert this time when I checked her gums.

Thank you for the additional information, may above recommendation continue the same.

Please reply if you have additional questions.