Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967
Dog Veterinary

My dog does have a sunken skull and her eye socket looks

bad. I have forgotten what... Show More
bad. I have forgotten what our vet called it be he gave us eye drops nd said that other than her looking funny she was fine. NOW she can not use her front paw or bear any weight on it. She does not see to be hurting just obviously awkward.
Category: Dog Veterinary
replied 10 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Goldie has been ill - I will do my best to help.

How long has she had the issue with her skull and eye socket? If ti's been awhile, then I would consider it a completely separate problem than the limping in her front leg and likely unrelated.

How long has she been unable to bear weight on that front leg? Did it come on gradually or suddenly?

If this is a sudden issue that's only just begun today, then it could certainly be a strain/sprain type of injury - they can hurt themselves just like we can. Older pets are a little weaker and more clumsy than young ones. Add that to pre-existing arthritis and we can see them limp from injuries that would otherwise not cause them such trouble. In some geographic areas where there are lots of ticks, we can see lyme disease cause a very painful joint that will cause them to limp. If she's holding up that leg, then the only reason would be that it's painful to put it down. They don't hold up a leg for any other reason. If the leg is dangling or dragging, that's more of a neurologic (nerve) issue and may not actually be painful. If this has been a longer term slow gradual issue, then I'd be worried for things like bone cancer, unfortunately. Usually we have a good idea of what's going on based on a physical exam and potentially some X-rays.

Please let me know the additional info and we can continue to chat. Also let me know what questions I can answer for you.

~Dr. Sara

Doc Sara, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago.
Hi Dale,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Goldie. How is everything going?
Doc Sara