Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My teacup Chihuahua has been vomiting a yellowish blob of

Customer Question

My teacup Chihuahua has been vomiting a yellowish blob of spittle on and off for approx. 6 hrs. She appears ok but is not eating or drinking water. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a couple of questions, though to see if I can better assess your situation.

How many times has she vomited?

What color are her gums?

If you press into her abdomen from both sides, is she painful or uncomfortable?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She has vomited 4 or 5 times. Her abdomen is fine when pressed on both sides. Her gums look a little red.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for the information. It is possible that it could just be an upset stomach from something she ate, but I would still be concerned about a possible pancreatitis, liver problem or gastrointestinal obstruction (too name a few). 4-5 episodes of vomiting is a lot for a small dog. Even with small amounts of vomit, there is concern about dehydration. They get dehydrated much easier than bigger dogs. There isn't a lot you can saftely give a dog for vomiting at home. Pepcid (2.5mg per 2.5-5 lbs of body weight daily) is the only completely safe medication, but that may only help if there is some excessive acid buildup in the stomach. Pepto bismol (1/2 teaspoon per 2.5 lbs of body weight every 8 hours is usually fine but not recommended of there is a potential stomach ulcer. With her small size, if she continues to vomit despite giving either one of these, I would have her seen by your vet. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Chika. How is everything going?
Dr. John