Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital
92209471

My name is ***** *****. My dog is acting normal but quit

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** *****. My dog is acting normal but quit eating her dog food. She'll eat treats and I made her a couple of scrambled eggs this morning and she ate that. The reason I worry is because before this my dog ate all of her food no problem and looked for more.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The only other thing I can think of is she might have eaten some stuffing out of her dog bed. Not sure though. I came home to a torn up dog bed. She didn't poop last night or this morning and she usually goes twice a day. But I figured it was because she hasn't eaten much. She's a big dog, Rottweiler.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 11 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H.

I am sorry to hear your pet has some stomach upset. I do have a couple of additional questions for you however.

How old is your pet?

What breed?

Have you noticed any vomiting?

- Dr. H

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She's about 5 and is a Rottweiler. No vomiting and she is acting pretty normal except for not eating her dog food.

Ok. Thanks. Sounds like she at the very least has an upset stomach, its good she has good energy level and doesn't seem painful.

Does she normally get dog food only? Or occasional people food?

- Dr. H

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She will eat treats and I gave her some scrambled eggs this morning around 9 and she ate that just fine. She hasn't pooped though last night or this morning. But I figured it was because she hasn't really eaten much.

Yes scant feces can be caused by decreased appetite. Just trying to figure out why she has a decreased appetite and if this is something potentially serious or can be managed with a few changes here.

- Dr. H

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I really don't give her people food that often. I've pushed on her belly and she doesn't seem in pain or anything

Ok great.

Some dogs will refuse their normal kibble if they get anything else. They will selectively wait out for the yummier meal, this is very common. She doesn't have any symptoms of a gastritis (inflamed stomach) or enteritis (inflamed intestines) that you will generally see with pets that have an upset GI tract from ingesting things they shouldn't. She also doesn't have any diarrhea that I would expect to see with GI upset.

The stuffed toy that she got into, I don't have any reason to believe at this point that it is the problem because she would be vomiting or having diarrhea as well.

So it sounds like she may have grown tired of her food or is waiting for something else she likes better.

- Dr. H

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Are there any symptoms I should look out for that would point to trouble and a trip to my vet?

Even a little people food here and there is enough to cause dogs to refuse their kibble. I believe this may be what is going on with her.

Yes, as mentioned above I would look out for vomiting, diarrhea and a painful abdomen. These are tell tale signs that she is in trouble and needs to see a vet for potential gastroenteritis or foreign body obstruction. But she isn't displaying any of these symptoms right now.

I would recommend just a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice or cottage cheese. What is her brand of dog food?

- Dr. H

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She was starved as a pup and was a rescue case and has always eaten her dog food, so it worried me.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Purina dog chow

Yes I can understand that. But her energy level is good. She is not vomiting or having any diarrhea. I would recommend perhaps investing into a higher quality dog food to see if she likes that better. Such as Hill's Science Diet, Evo, Eukanuba or Iams is even a little better quality and still relatively inexpensive. I know having a large breed dog can eat away at the pocket books when it comes to dog food. : )

- Dr. H

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
For how long and how much should I give her? She's a big girl and goes about 100lbs

For the bland diet I would say around 3-4 days, nothing more she seems to be just having a finicky eating episode mostly. But if anything changes with her symptoms then we have to re-investigate possible causes. - Dr. H

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can I mix canned food with the dry, when she goes back to a normal diet?

For the portion size, it would be what you normally give her in the bowl. A rottweiler can go through a lot. You can resource this website to help you with portion size. https://secure.balanceit.com/

And yes you can mix canned with dry just fine. This will hopefully entice her to want to eat the food also.

Ok that just about covers it. Is there anything else I can help you with today concerning your pet Rottie?

- Dr. H

Ok if you have no further questions, I would ask that you provide me a rating by clicking on the "Rate My Expert" button above. This is how I am credited with assisting you and your pet today. Thanks in advanced and best of luck moving forward with your pets care.

Best regards,

Dr. H

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Drhollowayvet