Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

My 8 year old lab has been trying to lick s rectum

Customer Question

My 8 year old lab has been trying to lick his rectum frequently and other other dog seems to want to lick it too. There seems to be a yeasty oder which I am not sure is from the moisture from constant licking or from something else
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 9 months ago.

Hello I am Dr RB and I am small animal veterinarian. It is highly possible that Chase need to have his anal sacs expressed. Anal sacs are little pouches just on the inside of his rectum (one at the 5:00 position and one at the 7:00 position) that are connected to scent glands known as anal glands. They secrete a strong odor that used to be an advantage to dogs in the wild to understand things about one another. Some dogs are able to express these sacs naturally when they defecate but others do not and require manual expression. If these sacs become very full and not expressed, the discharge can thicken and become infected and, in some cases these sacs can rupture to the outside from pressure which can be very painful.

I would suggest you take Chase in to a veterinary office and mention "anal sac expression"; most dogs can have this done by a veterinary technician or assistant and not require a doctor visit (unless their is a problem such as infection).

Here is a little additional info for you:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=625

I hope this advice was helpful to you. Please let me know if I can clarify or expand on anything here. If you are happy with my response, please take the time to rate my answer to your question about Chase today:)

Hello, I am just following up to see if you had any additional questions about Chase?

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Hi Beth Coburn,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Chase. How is everything going?
Ola Barrett