Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog past 3 nights has been unable to control s bowl

Customer Question

my dog for the past 3 nights has been unable to control his bowl movements in his kennel. he is almost 4 months and has never done this before. He was eating purina one dog food but about a week and a half ago we swithed to blue buffalo and also we give him begin strips wich we started about the same time. We are not sure why he started doing this. We don't feed him past 6:30 and he only eats twice a day, please help!
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: not really
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 9 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Most likely your poor guy has a minor digestive disturbance that is causing him to have to go a lot more than normal. This is common in younger puppies because they can get into lots of things that you may not even be aware of. Also, a food change can cause this disturbance. The treatment for this is as follows:

Fast your guy for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.
Give him Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.
Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes
After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)

If this has resolved, wean him back to the Blue BUffalo since he has been on this for over a week. If he is still having trouble, have your vet examine him since this could also be a wormload or other digestive issue.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta