Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

I have a eight month old Husky puppy. Suddenly he passed

Customer Question

Hi I have a eight month old Husky puppy. Suddenly he passed away this morning. He was just sitting in the living room when he collapsed as if he had been shot. he convulsed for a few seconds whilst we tried to revive him. but he was already deadd.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He seemed alright in him self. he has recently just finished a course of tablets for a bacterial infection on his muzzle. He was prescribed with Predndiale 5mg tablets and Therios tablets 300mg one of each twice a day for a week. he finished these on Monday.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am so sorry to hear about your puppy. What a tragedy to lose him so young and abruptly. Given your description, if he had otherwise been acting normally up until this point (eating/drinking normally, breathing normally, energetic as normal, not vomiting or having diarrhea), then my suspicion would be some sort of cardiac event. It is possible he had an unknown heart condition. This would be the most likely cause if it happened as you described. Another possibility is a stroke, but those are less common in a dog of this age.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** bought him they said his heart had been checked and he was fine. Could it have Been the medication?
Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.

It is very unlikely the medication would have done this. For a medication to cause an abrupt death like this, it would have been something like an allergic reaction or overdose, and with those you would have seen other symptoms first, and it would have happened when he started the medication, not after he was finished.

Unfortunately, some heart conditions cannot be detected just by listening to the heart with a stethescope. This really only detects heart murmurs and arrhythmias (and not always those, depending on the type and frequency). The only way to say with 100% certainty a heart is normal would be to do an ultrasound of the heart and an EKG, which we just don't usually do in a healthy pet.

Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.

If you want a more definite answer of what could have caused his death, your other option would be to ask for a necropsy. Once again, I am so sorry for your loss. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and I am sorry for your loss.