Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My lab lost a patch of hair on s right rear side no signs of

Customer Question

My lab lost a patch of hair on his right rear side no signs of dryness or mites what could it be? The other side appears to be happening also but very slight and slowly. He is not itching or licking either. Please help
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He sometimes has dry skin but not all the time and not around the hair loss patch area
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your problem. Is there any way you could upload a photo here for me to view?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how can I forward it to you? do you have an email
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

You can actually post it here in this window. You should see an "add files" or "attach files" link next to your Send/Reply button and you can attach it that way. Do you see that link?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here are a right and left side pics
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Give me a few minutes to look at them and type- I have to drop my son off at school and will look at them in about 5 minutes ;)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No worries thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have an awesome vet and he said leave it alone, and he does not see anything under florescent light. My concern is that I am going to use him as a therapy dog and don't want to be asked 100 times what is wrong with him, and my main concern is what it really could be...thanks
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Ok, thank you for the photos, those really help! It appears to me that your dog is suffering from something we call Flank Alopecia. Here is some information on this condition: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2965. We don't really know the cause for it, and many dogs have it seasonally- so during the winter months are more affected. It doesn't cause discomfort, just looks funny! There has been some success in treating it with melatonin. The usual dose is around 3 mg total per dog once daily (best to give in the evening as can cause drowsiness) and sometimes increasing from there if response isn't being seen. As with any medication, I recommend consulting your vet before starting anything, as they know your pet best.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you think dermacton my help on the skin...soap wash or cream?
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

I do not have any experience with the product, and in the literature there are no reports of any topical products helping. The only proven successful treatment is melatonin. If you want to try it, it doesn't sound like it would hurt (unless your dog develops some hypersensitivity to the ingredients),but it likely will not make a difference. Luckily, this is more of a cosmetic issue than anything else, and you can tell the people who meet him that it isn't anything contagious or harmful to him!

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and best of luck!!!